Most people don’t know that over 90% of athletic injuries can be treated medically without the need for surgery. In fact, it is imperative to see a Sports Medicine Physician as soon as possible after the injury for optimum results. That is the reason why Dr. Geraci, a Board Certified Sports Medicine Specialist, has always made it a point to see patients with athletic injuries within the first 24-48 hours.
Obtaining an accurate diagnosis and determining the proper treatment are essential to getting you quickly and safely back to your sport and keep you playing. Another important step to recovery is finding any other contributing factors that may have led to the injury. Among the more common causes can be over training, under training or no training at all. During your first visit, Dr. Geraci will take the time to review with you not only your training routine, but equally as important, he will consult with you on a plan for future injury prevention.
Some of the ways to diagnose and treat your sports related injury and accomplish these goals include but are not limited to:
- A careful and methodical assessment by a sports medicine doctor which includes a complete history and physical examination
- Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Fluoroscopic and Ultrasound Guided Injections
- Manual Medicine
- Functional Rehabilitation
- Regenerative Medicine (Using Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Stem Cells from your own blood or fat cells)
- Prescribing Medications sparingly and only when indicated for a short time
- Strength, endurance and biomechanical retraining specific for your needs
- Diagnostic testing when indicated, avoiding unnecessary radiation exposure
- Physical Therapy based first on expertise and second on location
- A home exercise program from day one to reduce your pain and speed up your recovery
- Surgical referral, when indicated, and getting you back to see me to start your post – operative rehabilitation, as soon as possible